Steel Road Plates For Sale
Road Plate Quote Form
Steel Road Plates for Sale
Steel road plates, or trench plates are large metal plates used to cover excavations, trenches, or uneven surfaces temporarily. Road plates provide a safe and stable surface for vehicles, pedestrians, and equipment to cross over without disruption or potential hazards. Road plates are commonly used in construction sites, utility repairs, public events, and other situations where temporary access is needed.
Iron Lot offers 1″ steel road plates for sale, which is the industry standard. As needed we also offer other plate thickness options as needed like 1.25″ road plates. Due to its mechanical properties, we primarily use A36 steel sheet. It is a high strength low alloy steel (HSLA) with a low carbon content.
Road Plate Specifications
- A36 is the most common recommended and used structural steel due to higher strength and corrosion resistance.
- Our ATSM A-36 steel road plates are fabricated to meet the DOT specifications of minimum yield strength of 36,000 psi.
- Iron Lot’s steel street plates can be utilized on construction sites as trench plates or trench covers, temporary roads, and pedestrian walkways.
Options include having holes cut for easy lifting with a chain, or adding lifting devices. We can also provide other steel grades like ASTM A572-50 steel plates if needed for your application. Other thickness of steel plate are available for different applications and uses.
Steel Road Plates Installation and Use
Steel road plates are installed by placing them over the excavation or trench, creating a temporary bridge or cover. They are set in place with heavy machinery such as forklifts, backhoes, excavators, loaders, and cranes. They are secured in place using appropriate methods such as bolts, cold patch asphalt, or clamps such as plate locks. Once the work is completed or the temporary access is no longer required, road plates can be easily removed.
Used as Trench Plates or Trench Covers
A trench plate is often used along with a trench box during excavation for utility construction and repair. They can be left in place to secure the project while work is not being done. When the work is ready to resume, they are easily removed. Used in this way they are sometimes referred to as Trench Plates.
Used as Steel Roadway Plates
Steel roadway plates play a crucial role in maintaining traffic flow and ensuring safety at construction sites or areas with temporary excavations. By providing a smooth and secure surface, they help prevent accidents, reduce the risk of injuries. Further, their use minimizes disruptions to both vehicles and pedestrians.
Steel road plates offer several benefits, including:
- Temporary Access: They allow vehicles, pedestrians, and equipment to safely traverse over excavated or uneven surfaces.
- Traffic Flow Management: Road plates help maintain smooth traffic flow by providing a stable pathway during a utility construction project.
- Safety Enhancement: They may feature anti-slip surfaces and high-visibility colors. Both can increase safety by improving traction and visibility, reducing the risk of accidents.
- Protection of Underground Utilities: Road plates can protect underground utilities, such as pipes or cables, from accidental damage during repair work.
- Versatility: Road plates can be used in a wide range of applications, including construction sites, public events, utility repairs, and more.
Overall, road plates are essential temporary solutions. They ensure safe and efficient movement of traffic across open trenches or uneven surfaces, while minimizing disruptions and maintaining project productivity.
Road Plates Used in Construction
Typically made of high-strength steel, road plates are designed to withstand heavy loads and provide a stable pathway. They come in various sizes, thicknesses, and load-bearing capacities to accommodate different project requirements. Road plates may be equipped with anti-slip surfaces to ensure traction, reducing the risk of accidents or injuries.
- High-Strength Steel: The requirement is A36 Steel or stronger. Our steel road plates are ASTM A-36, or A572-50 and are fabricated to meet DOT specifications and industry standards.
- Correctness Counts: The standard requirement for determining the thickness of the plates is consideration of the posted speed of traffic. With posted traffic speeds under 45 mph 1” thick plate is required. With posted traffic speeds at or above 45 mph, 1.25” thick plate is required.
- Local or regional requirements: Specific requirements should be checked and confirmed with both individual DOT’s and cities.
- Common Sizes: 4×4, 4×8, 4×10, 4×12, 4×16, 5×8, 5×10, 5×16, 6×8, 6×10, 6×12, 8×10, 8×12, 8×16, 8×20. Other sizes are also available.
Distribution is located throughout the U.S.
Please fill out the form on the right to receive a quote.
Iron Lot also offers the FAST-LOK® Road Plate Lifting System
The Fast-Lok Road Plate Lifting Device
Product information can be found here:
Fast-Lok Road Plate Lifting Device